National Dog Biscuit Day - February 23rd
On February 23rd, your dog doesn’t want a pet, to be scratched on the belly, or to go for a walk. What he really wants is his biscuit because it’s National Dog Biscuit Day! Dogs love their treats just like we do and after all, our four-legged friends are our best friends. Take some time today to get in the kitchen and whip up a delicious treat for your beloved pet to show them some extra love. One of the best advantages of homemade dog treats is that we can make sure there are no known allergens (for your dog) in the ingredient list. Below is a list of a few of our favorite dog treat recipes!
First up on our list is a Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treat! After reviewing the recipe you may be tempted to try these yourselves because we sure were! This simple recipe is great, because what dog doesn’t like peanut butter and bacon, and you may have all of the ingredients already in your house.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup oats
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop the cooked bacon strips.
- In a medium bowl, mix the egg, peanut butter, and milk.
- Add in 2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon baking powder to make a dough.
- Mix in the chopped bacon and oats.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on your working surface and flour the rolling pin.
- Start rolling out your dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use the cookie cutter to make as many treats as possible. You can even re-roll your leftover dough and use the cookie cutter again.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and line with the treats.
- Cook 20 minutes. Flip treats and cook another 10 minutes.
- Let treats cool before storing them in an air-tight container.
Next up, up is a Homemade Sweet Potato Dog Chews recipe that is a great choice for puppies or older dogs! They contain powerful antioxidants, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. If you’re trying to provide your dog with a treat that is soft and chewy, we recommend slicing the sweet potatoes thicker. If you want your treats to have a bit more crunch, slice them thinly.
- 2 Sweet potatoes or yams
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees f. Wash and dry your sweet potatoes. Thinly slice your potatoes lengthwise. 1/4- 1/3 inch wide max.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment if you have it. I was all out this time so I just placed them directly on the cookie sheet. Then bake them for 3 hours, turning them over halfway through. You want them to be pretty chewy and dry. You can also use a dehydrator if you have one instead.
- Store them in the fridge or freezer because if you leave them out they could get moldy.
- Then the real fun begins......giving them to your dog.
It’s never a bad time to give your pet some extra love and attention to show them how much you appreciate them, but it’s especially important today to give them something to celebrate their day! We hope you have fun celebrating your pooch today with the recipes we’ve provided! Don’t forget to check out our natural pet products at kawellusa.com.